The Student News Site of Pine Creek High School

Talon Media

Talon Media

Talon Media

Girls Volleyball Setting Their Way Into Playoffs

Pine Creek Volleyball Instagram

Last Friday girls volleyball swept Liberty with a 3-0 run, this will be their 3rd consecutive sweep, with the previous wins being Fountain Fort-Carson, and Columbine. This has been quite the trend for girls volleyball as they are on a 5 game win streak, with an 9-2 current record. Head Girls Volleyball coach Molly Stowers said, “I feel that team chemistry is has been a really big thing in practice this season as well as adjusting to what teams will most likely do based on our height, we do have a lot of height on our team, so when teams play tall teams they usually change up their plan of attack”

When talking with Olivia Moffet(11) about this season, and how communication has been a key factor in their success, “Communication is a vital part of practice. I would classify three different types within practice, informational, body language, and energy. Informational communication would classify as talking about who is going to take the ball, setting plays and how to effectively execute drills and overall playing style. Body language is a form of communication that might not immediately come to mind but is just as important as information. Relaying negative messages through your body can be detrimental to your team. Although it can easily have the opposite effect, positive body language can bring the team together. The last mode of communication is energy, expressed verbally. This may be telling your teammate, good job or encouraging them throughout practice. You might not be relaying practical information but you are able to lift the energy up creating a more competitive environment. Communication is a skill in general that Coach Stowers is constantly emphasizing and practicing regularly to improve the overall team performance,” said Moffet(11).

“The most important thing to remember is that volleyball is a team game. It is important to focus on your teammates and to be selfless on the court.” said Mackenzie Frazee(12),

“The most important thing to remember when playing volleyball for me is that not everything has to be perfect. I hold myself to a high standard so can get frustrated when one set is off the net or when I miss a serve. Just being able to take a deep breath and shake it off is so important. My teammates also help me with lots of encouragement and positive feedback,“ said Moffet(11)