The Student News Site of Pine Creek High School

Talon Media

Talon Media

Talon Media

The Other Football

Soccer takes the field for another season to shine
Lincoln+Valentine+%2811%29+heads+the+ball+during+the+recent+game+against+Cherokee+Trail.+Despite+the+teams+best+efforts%2C+they+came+up+short+losing+2-0.+
Isabella Stevens-Perez
Lincoln Valentine (11) heads the ball during the recent game against Cherokee Trail. Despite the teams best efforts, they came up short losing 2-0.

Boasting a remarkable record of 5 wins, 1 tie, and only 3 losses so far, the boys’ Varsity team stands as one of the best teams in the league. Additionally, Pine Creek fosters one of the most talented rosters of soccer players in Academy District 20, and quite possibly, in the entire state. Goalkeeper, Connor Shaw (12), is the second-ranked goalkeeper in the entire league. Captain, Quinn Howell (12), scored seven points in just nine games, and senior Brayden Burk put up nine points in the same period. Howell said, “Obviously, our base goal is to win state.” The team has its sights set on testing this young group of men and proving themselves to the rest of the school.

The team seems to agree as well.

Shaw said, “The team in general is just a good group of guys who want it too.”  The league season is about to start tomorrow, and the team wants, more than ever, to see their classmates watch them play.

Head Coach, Ben Corley, said, “The talent is there, the leadership is there, and the team culture is there.”

Why then, do their games have an average attendance of only around 30 or so parents?

“I would even say that it’s even better to come just because we’re actually doing better this year,” Shaw said, “We have a good chance of doing great things this year, and the players are fun to watch.”

Moments like last night, when three goals were put up in the last five minutes, and we almost came back from a 2-1 deficit with three seconds left on the clock show just how much this team is dedicated to the game.

Soccer is growing popular in the modern American culture, and more and more people are trying to find a way in. Shows like “Ted Lasso” are bringing soccer into pop culture and superstars like Lionel Messi playing in American leagues only add to the popularity of the sport. Even the World Cup will be played right here in the USA. Now would be a great time to get into the game, and where else would be better to start than supporting your school?