The Student News Site of Pine Creek High School

Talon Media

Talon Media

Talon Media

Powder Puff

Everything you need to know about the powder puff game.
Kaya+Burke-Perryman+%2811%29+avoids+the+flag+grab+by+Madison+Weiner+%2812%29+at+the+homecoming+powder+puff+game+on+September+11.+
J. Powell
Kaya Burke-Perryman (11) avoids the flag grab by Madison Weiner (12) at the homecoming powder puff game on September 11.

Powder puff football, played between junior and senior girls, is a popular high school activity that showcases athleticism and competitiveness while still showing teamwork and school pride. Powder puff has been a homecoming week tradition for many years.  

Preparing for the annual powder puff game included intense physical preparation. Izzy Burton (12) said, “I’ve been hitting the gym, going to practice, running 10 miles a day, bulking, eating all the good stuff including my greens.” Burton is putting in a lot of effort to prepare, and she had a lot to say about the seniors coaching staff, “They’re fire, shoutout to Michael Parker and Jalen Segers, our lovely coaching staff, love them and all that they’ve done for us.” 

Kamdyn Swanson (12) also had something to say about her preparation, saying “I’ve been bulking like a football player in the weight room everyday, constant work, constant effort.” However, it’s not just the seniors that have been preparing.

Zara Crawford (11), felt strongly about her team and their defense, she said,  “We’ve gone through every possible thing we can and our defense is unstoppable” She later added “Our coaching staff has been very tough on us and this is why we won’t mess up, we’ll always have our heads in the game”

Amaya Boarman (11) was one of the best players for the junior team. Playing multiple positions such as d-line and wide receiver, she played a vital role for the junior team. “I’ve been watching clips on my position to help better prepare and understand the role I play. Our coaching staff have been really good and helpful. They have been making sure they know that we’re doing so that we’re not just on the field running around looking stupid.” Boarman felt very confident and ready for the game, and made sure to do her part, not only making a touch-down for the juniors, but then kicking the extra point as well. 

Powder Puff was a success especially for the seniors as they took home the win 14 -13. All of the juniors and seniors that participated in Powder Puff, and even those who watched found it very fun and entertaining. Many of the upperclassmen encouraged the underclassmen to participate when they were old enough. 

Powder Puff is a very fun and special experience that many of the girls enjoy because it’s not overly competitive, but still enough to be fun. Molly Masciullo (11) said, “Nothing is really too serious and kinda what I like about it because it doesn’t just feel like a chore.”