Preparation for Annual State Testing

With the school year coming to a close, students are preparing for the annual state testing. State testing includes the SAT, PSAT, as well as CMAS Science for juniors. According to vox.com, the SAT is a “college entrance exam that schools use to evaluate student applications.” The PSAT is not only used to practice for the SAT, but can also be used to pick” National Merit Scholars and award merit scholarships,” according to princetonreview.com. Finally, CMAS is a test used to measure students progress throughout the school year in the studies of English, math, and science. This time of year can be stressful, and many feel a lot of pressure. However, there are things that can help prepare students mentally and emotionally.

This year, Pine Creek’s testing days go from Wednesday, April 13th, to Friday, April 15th.  On Wednesday, April 13, Juniors will take the SAT from 7:45 am to 12 pm. On Thursday, April 14, Sophomores will the the PSAT from 7:45 am-12 pm. Juniors with last names beginning with A-L will take the CMAS science from 7:45 to 11:15 on this day as well. Finally, on Friday, April 15- the freshman will take the PSAT from 7:45 to 11:45. Juniors with last names starting with M-Z will also take the CMAS science exam from 7:45 to 11:15.

After the designated testing time is over, you will proceed to the lunch room to eat your pre-ordered lunch. If you have not yet submitted an order for lunch, go to your English course in schoology to pre-order a lunch. The rest of the day will be run as a normal block schedule but with 30 minute class periods. The schedule is listed below. First block will go from 12:30-1:00 pm, second is 1:05-1:35 pm, third is 1:40-2:10 pm, and finally, fourth block is 2:15-2:45. However, even if your grade level is not scheduled to take a test in the morning, students are required to arrive at school by 12:30 pm.

Getting extra help from teachers, or even students in the PAL lab will help better prepare students for the test. Spending time each day studying will also help achieve better results. Taking practice tests, getting a lot of sleep, preparing the correct materials, and eating a good breakfast is also a great way to better prepare for test day.